Sunday, June 5, 2011

Flagstaff to Kingman via Route 66

Today was a Route 66 day.  I had hoped to get to the Arizona border, but Kingman was the end for today.  So, the pictures you see will be along my route, along with a bit of explanation.  My favorites were the BurmaShave signs.  :0)

First stop was Williams, AZ.  Not much interesting on this section of Route 66, but I did love the couple on the motorcycle towing the dogs.  You can only see the big dog, but in front of the big dog is a small open cage with a little dog in it.  Made me smile.  :0)





Ash Fork, AZ was next on the Route 66 tour.  Ash Fork had the most interesting building architecture.  I loved the car on the roof of the hair salon myself.  The historical marker at the end was about the railroad coming to the area and Route 66.







On my way to the museum in Ash Fork, I came across the first of the Burma Shave signs.  The blur you see on the Burma Shave photos is because I took the photos through my windshield that had lots of dead bugs on it.  I know, ewwwww!






This is Route 66 just outside of Ash Fork.  I love how barren it is with the mountain range in the distance.














The following are more Burma Shave signs I saw along this route on my way to Seligman, AZ.




















When I shot the following picture, the donkey kept staring at me, and if I could read his mind, I'm sure he was thinking, "What a dumb ass."  :0)


Seligman, AZ had the most interesting buildings along Route 66.  The first pictures is of the Aztec Motel that has Route 66 pictures painted on its building.  Also, as a side note, Phillips 66 was the official gas station of Route 66.  The next shop got a lot of attention from photographers along the route.  I love the mannequins sitting on the bumper of the vehicle in front of the building.  As I was leaving, I noticed across the street a yellow vehicle with a mannequin of a man sleeping, just waiting for the next cab fare.

I also got a kick out of the name of the restaurant called the "Roadkill Cafe."

















Between Seligman and Kingman were a few tiny little towns, but none of them had anything very interesting to see.  However, I did think this old gas station looked cool in Peach Springs, AZ.


My last stop was Kingman, AZ.  You can see by the pictures that the scenery was changing a bit.  This is the first place in Arizona I saw palm trees, along with these weird tall green, well, I guess you call them bushes.  Not sure what they are. 














Lastly, here is a license plate I saw in Kingman that I thought was cute.





I also learned a few things about Arizona since I've been here.  Believe it or not, they have a "stupid motorist's law."  If you do something stupid against advice of the authorities (like drive through flooded streets and stall your car, or worse, get caught up in the flood waters), you can be charged what it costs to rescue you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
United States
My adventures with my camera.

Door County, Wisconsin

Peninsula State Park, Door County, Wisconsin