Sunday, July 19, 2009

Saturday and Sunday--Stanley Park and Lynn Canyon

Saturday I got up early (7:00 a.m., can you believe it?), ate breakfast at Starbuck's and rented a bike. Took the scenic route to Stanley Park via the sea wall and went all the way around the park. There is so much to see at Stanley Park, you would need a few days to see everything. I just caught the perimeter of the park, but it was still beautiful. I have pictures of North Vancouver (Grouse Mountain), a little hideaway that I found off the beaten path, the totem poles and Hallelujah Point. Hallelujah Point is interesting: the story goes that the Salvation Army set up there and held services when Vancouver was a new town. The congregants sang so loud they could hear the "hallelujahs" across the water to the City of Vancouver from that point.

That afternoon I took a Big Bus tour around the city and marked off places I'd still like to see. I don't think it's going to happen though....I'm running out of time! I saw the clock where they're counting down the time until the start of the Olympics here in 2010; the public library which looks like the Roman colesium (sp?) (awesome), the waterfront, including the huge Canadian building where the cruise ships come in (they're huge!!!!), and Granville Island. Near the waterfront is a clock that blows steam on the hour to a tune you mostly hear on grandfather clocks. Very cool. Our bus happened to hit that spot at 3:00 sharp and we watched in awe as the clock sent steam all over while whistling a tune. VanCity seem much smaller after taking a tour and helps you get your bearings. I highly recommend it.

Today I went up to Lynn Canyon. That was quite the adventure and my first real foray into the public transit system. I waited over an hour for the wrong bus and then had to wait another 20 minutes across the street for the right bus. But it all worked out as I met a woman named Susanne who has been EVERYWHERE (Asia, Africa, etc.). She's very British (reminds me of Dame Judi Dench) and a Scottish lady named Jean who runs a B&B near Lynn Canyon. We chatted while we waited for the bus and then headed for the canyon.

So, I bet you all want to know how it was on the suspension bridge?! It was freakin' AWESOME! Less scarier than I expected, but I was scared enough that I couldn't let go and trust myself to stand upright and take a picture down below. Hiked on a trail a bit after the bridge and found a place where there was a beach and teens jumping off the rocks into the water below. Rock on! On the way back from Lynn Canyon I got to take the Seabus (reminds me of the Merrimac Ferry). Had a much easier time getting back from Lynn Canyon, thanks to my iPhone (I was able to get the transit system link via the Internet).

It's only 4:15 here so I think I'm going to hop a bus (now that I know what I'm doing) and head down the Aquarium at Stanley Park. Shanna tells me there's a baby Beluga whale at the Aquarium.

Tomorrow will have to wait for Grouse Mountain.....zip lining here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
United States
My adventures with my camera.

Door County, Wisconsin

Peninsula State Park, Door County, Wisconsin