Monday, October 22, 2012

The Golden Gate Bridge and Sausalito

What a beautiful sunny morning I woke up to on Sunday!  Since my hotel is in South SFO, I had to catch the BART train into the city.  Coming up from the BART, there were throngs of people waiting for the Powell Street street car, so I decided to hike to Fisherman's Wharf, which turned out to be quite the hike, but a great photo opportunity!  (NOTE:  I cannot post photos as the Internet connection is VERY slow.)

I rented a bike from Blazing Saddles for the day and took the bike path along the shore up to the Golden Gate Bridge.  I thought we had big hills here!  I ended up walking the bike up more hills than I anticipated,but at least I got a great workout!  The vistas from the Golden Gate Bridge were magnificent.  Picture bright blue water, tons of sailboats and birds flying everywhere against the back drop of the bridge.  Wow.  Quite unexpectedly it was very windy on the bridge and I found it hard to control the bike.

After crossing the bridge it's a two mile bike ride into Sausalito, some up hill, some down hill.  The hills I wasn't so crazy about, but it was worth it once I began the descent into Sausalito.  It is a very quaint city built into the side of a mountain.  Not wanting to pass up an opportunity to shop (!) I parked my bike and strolled the streets of Sausalito.

After taking the ferry from Sausalito back to Fisherman's Wharf, I returned the bike and searched for a restaurant for dinner.  I found a diamond in the rough at Joe's Crab Shack.  What a party place!  The staff is young, upbeat and friendly.  And the place was packed.  Dinner was HUGE.  I got a 1 1/4 pounds of crab legs (I forgot how much work they are; but with the assistance of a "tool" they gave me, it was easier to get to the meat), potato and corn on the cob.  This all came in a huge bucket, along with a bib and waste bucket for the legs.  I was full after consuming the crab and gave up on the corn and the potato.  What great atmosphere. 

I ended my day exhausted.  I could not wait to get back to my hotel; my head hit the pillow and I was out like a light.  Today is a rainy, dreary day, but my plans won't be ruined by the weather.  Wait till you see what I will be doing the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
United States
My adventures with my camera.

Door County, Wisconsin

Peninsula State Park, Door County, Wisconsin